Sunday, February 23, 2014

But I Don't Want To Eat A Cake From A Dump!

Dump Cake


Yield:  1 9x13 cake
Time:  40 minutes

1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
1 21 oz can cherry pie filling
1 box butter golden recipe cake mix
1 stick butter, grated or cubed
Preheat oven to 350°.  Grease 9x13 cake pan.  Empty pineapple into bottom of cake pan and spread evenly.  Spoon cherry pie filling over pineapple and spread evenly.  Sprinkle cake mix over cherry pie filling evenly.  Spread grated (or cubed) butter over the top of the cake mix.  Bake for 35 minutes.


More Info

Let's start with the origin of this recipe today.  It is adapted from the original Duncan Hines Dump Cake recipe, and until I inquired to my mother about the origins of the recipe, I'd honestly thought it was just a family recipe.  She told me it'd come out of a Duncan Hines Treasury cookbook, so I looked up the recipe of their website so I'd have a link to it.
Also, you all should know that this recipe is interchangeable.  It will work with almost any cake mix (I'm not so sure about the ones that have a pudding mix in them to help make them more moist).  I haven't tried this myself yet, but here is an example/idea for you to try out for yourself; a mock German dark forest cake.  Cherry pie filling on the bottom, a chocolate cake mix of your choice on top of that, the butter, and then bake.  Serve with whipped cream and chocolate shavings/curls (probably best to do so after it has cooled, however).
I prefer grating my butter for this recipe...I find it helps to cover more "ground," so to speak.  If you choose to go this route, I advise freezing your butter for about an hour beforehand.  It greatly reduces (not eliminates) the mess on your hand; that is to say, instead of your hand being covered in slimy butter, you'll just have a thin layer to wash off.
As for how to eat this fantastic cake?  I suggest either hot with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, or cold, after it's been in the refrigerator overnight.

 Now, if you'll view my "So What's Going On?" tab at the top of the page, you'll see that from now on, I'll only be posting once a week, and that each post is only going to have one recipe (for when my Rich Pins for Pinterest finally get approved).  This is so that when you pin from my blog, you'll be able to pull up the pin on Pinterest and see the ingredients you need right there, without having to come to my blog (though I believe you have to come to the blog for the instruction).  For more information, please visit the forementioned tab at the top of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment