Friday, February 7, 2014

Cola what now?

Cola Brisket


Yield:  4 servings
Time:  12 hours, 2~ hours

1 batch "BBQ" Spice Blend
3-5 lb beef brisket (flat or point cut), lightly trimmed of excess fat

Cola Mixture
1 cup Diet Coke
1/2 cup coffee
1 cup ketchup
1 pkg Onion soup mix

Rub brisket with spice blend & refrigerate, covered, 12 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 325°.  In glass baking dish, pour cola mixture over brisket.  Cover with aluminum foil & cook in oven for 30 minutes per pound, removing foil for last 20 minutes of cooking.



More Info

Cola Brisket

Okay, so this was real easy to cook.  Rub down the brisket, pop it into the fridge until the next day (or if you get up at 5 in the morning to get ready for work, take care of it then.  You can stick it in the oven at 5 in the evening, and dinner will be ready about 7 or so).  Pour the cola mixture over, pop it in the oven, forget about it for a while, take the foil off, wait 20 minutes and BAM...done.  ...And delicious~.
Now for information about the original recipe.  The original recipe called for a 12 ounce can of coke.  Well, we don't keep cans, we keep 2 liters.  And we don't have regular coke, just Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Wild Cherry Pepsi, Mountain Dew, and Mountain Dew Code Red (the drinks with the real sugar are my brother's).  So I used some of my Diet Coke for this.  But I only wanted to use 1 cup (which is 8 ounces).  And we had some coffee left in the pot from that morning, so I thought...why not??  And 1/2 cup of coffee went in (which is 4 ounces, giving me my 12 ounces of liquid).
Another difference (and this is kinda slight) is that the original recipe calls for chili sauce (which you can find in the Asian section of your grocery store...typically, anyway).  However, it does say in the original recipe that you can substitute ketchup.  Since I had it on hand, that's what I did.  And like I said before, it came out delicious.
Oh, and of course, you don't have to use a glass baking dish...just anything that has sides and will contain the liquid.

Overall Meal

 

So what is a great compliment to a brisket?  My Easy Rolls .  And peas.  Now, you can probably tell from that picture that those are canned peas.  ...Honestly, I'm okay with canned peas, but I really do prefer frozen peas.  However, my brother won't eat much in the way of vegetables, and is so picky about his peas that he won't eat frozen peas, only canned.  So I do what I can with them; cook them in the juices from the can until hot, then drain and toss them with some butter and a few dashes of salt until the butter is melted.  Anyway, I hope ya'll try out this recipe!  It's simple and deliciously fantastic.  Check out my YouTube Channel to see the demonstration of this recipe, and of other recipes as well!  Feel free to subscribe, too!

UPDATED 02/13/14:

  • Added links under recipe titles to credited source

Questions?  Leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment